The Parks and Recreation Department asks the public to keep parks clean by picking up their trash during Easter weekend celebrations.
Easter weekend is traditionally one of the busiest times of the year to be outdoors with thousands of people using city parks to celebrate. The Parks and Recreation Department provides trash bins but encourages park visitors to bring trash bags. Pets are always welcome at City parks but pet owners are asked to pick up pet waste and keep their pets on a leash.
In addition, used charcoal and other items should be taken home by park visitors or thrown in the proper receptacle and not on the ground, or next to trash bins or trees as the charcoal can damage grass and destroy trees.
The City of El Paso has a total of 283 parks. Last year, it took the Park Maintenance Division of the Parks and Recreation Department about three to four days to fully get rid of trash left behind by visitors. In an effort to keep parks clean, additional trash bins will be placed at City parks and extra Parks and Recreation staff will be working through the weekend.
“Parks are for everyone and want people to enjoy our beautiful parks during the holiday and every day, but we want everyone to enjoy them in a clean and safe environment,” said Parks and Recreation Director Tracy Novak. “We are asking the public to help us keep our parks clean by picking up and disposing of their own trash as they use the parks.”
Residents are asked to know the rules and be mindful when visiting City parks.
Do’s and Don’ts for Park Visitors
- The simple rule “leave it better than you found it” applies to all park users
- Trash left in the parks should be put in a trash bag and left in a trash bin and not left in grocery bags or empty boxes on the ground.
- Charcoal should not be left on the ground, grass or by trees. Charcoal should be put in a proper receptacle and disposed of properly in a trash bin or taken home.
- Alcoholic beverages, smoking (including e-cigarettes) are not allowed in city parks
- City ordinance violators should be reported to the police immediately